Three Tools That Helped Me Become A Better Miniature Painter

Hello Hobbyists, 
Welcome back to The Bunker, I apologize for the lengthy hiatus as I got tied up with my personal life and was unable to write for a while. That said, lets get to the good news, I'm back!

If you are new here, this blog is tailored to painters, crafters and gamers covering content all over the world of tabletop gaming. I have also started a YouTube channel to provide live and video content for you all to enjoy, you can view it here:  The Bunker With @VeridisQuoTec

If you like the content I provide and it helps you out please consider subscribing to the YouTube channel to see more content in the future.

Now lets dive into today's topic.


Three tools that I use that have made me a better painter.

Coffee is an Honorable Mention


1. MASTERS BRUSH CLEANER

Click the photo to get your own.

Alright so brush cleaner doesn't actually directly make me a better painter but it does make my precious paint brushes last longer so I can paint more efficiently and spend less time cleaning up sloppy paint jobs. 

I didn't discover this magical substance until I was a already painting for a few years. For the longest time I painted with cheap brushes, I was hard on them and had to replace them every few weeks. One year I received a Citidel Brush from a friend for Secret Santa gift, my first thought was "This is a much better brush than I am used to using." and although it is no Windsor Newton Series 7 It still sparked the though that I needed to maintain my brushes better. After a little tangent on Google I came across this brush cleaner and decided to give it a go, I was immediately super impressed as it basically brought some of my cheaper dead brushes back to paint another day.

As an example, I received a few decent quality brushes in a lot of Tau that I got that, they were in terrible shape so I figured I would put this stuff to the test. After a epic cleaning montage (not pictured), the brushes were alive again and ready to paint.



I still use the fine detail brush in this lot today for smaller things like eyes.

2. MASTERSONS WET PALLETE

Click the photo to get  your own
This tool is next level If I am to be honest. let me explain how this works.  the idea is that a wet palette will thin your paint by pulling water from a sponge under some parchment paper, the paint is too thick to penetrate the parchment paper but the water will pull upwards thinning the paint. It is brilliant.

Why it works for me:

  • My paint is always perfectly thinned
  • Paint dries slower and mixes cleaner to allow for better blending
  • You can easily add mediums to the parchment allowing you to pull only what you need into the paint
  • It seals shut, preserving the paint between sessions
3. A "Mini Grip"

You could go a few ways with this one, I was lucky enough to have access to a 3d printer so I printed my own, some people use Blue Tak on the top of a painting pot, but the most common one that I've seen is the Citadel Painting Handle.

Click the photo to get your own.
Why it works for me:
  • It adds stability while painting by giving a larger surface to grip
  • It reduces the direct contact you have with the model
  • It allows you to hold the model on angles that would be otherwise awkward.
This model had a lot of awkward angles so painting with a grip made it much less stressful to paint.


Thanks for reading everyone, Now that I am back in the game I will be writing articles more often, feel free to comment with topics that you would like me to cover in future articles or videos but until then, happy gaming.








Comments